Watch the How-To Video
How much does it cost?
|Per Hour Maximum2||$11.40|
|Per Day Maximum2||$65|
|Per Mile After 150 Mile Per Trip||$0.45|
|Driver Protection Fee||$1.00 + tax|
The more you drive, the cheaper it gets. With rates by the minute, you only pay for the time you use. On street metered parking, refueling, insurance, maintenance, cleaning, GPS navigation, and live assistance from our 24/7 customer support team are all included. The charges are automatically billed directly to your credit or debit card on file.
And here are no hidden costs, security deposits, monthly or annual fees. Finally you can go for a ride without being taken for one.
1. Subject to 8% sales and use tax
2. Discount for hourly and daily rate applies to continuous use of the same vehicle
3. Please note there is a $2 validation charge on your chosen payment method from Moovel (that’s us). This test charge is not processed, but may show as pending until it drops off.
Here is all you need to know to get started with car2go!
PROMOTIONAL MINUTES: All promotional minutes are valid for 45 days in the city they were issued. Once expired, minutes cannot be reloaded so be sure to use them! You can view minutes on the app or by logging in here.
UPDATING INFORMATION: To update accounting information including personal, driver’s license, or payment information click here and log in.
Here’s 4 easy steps to get going around the city. For a video overview on these steps, click here.
1. FIND YOUR CAR2GO
To find the nearest car2go, you can:
- Use the Official car2go application on your Smartphone,
- Use Car Finder at car2go.com,
- Just grab one off the street and jump in.
Reservations are not required but can be made up to 30 min in advance using the app or website.
There is no charge to reserve a car or to cancel the reservation. If you have a car reserved, and happen to come across one that is closer, you can scan into that car, and it will cancel the reservation on the other car for you. If you do not make it to your reservation within 30 min it will expire and you will NOT be able to re-book the same car.
2. ACCESS YOUR CAR2GO
Quickly inspect your car2go for damage that is in need of repair or would make the vehicle unsafe to drive.
Hold your member card up to the card reader on the windshield to unlock the vehicle
Access the vehicle using your Smartphone application.
The new car2go app has a new design and a new function: After the update, the app will be even more intuitive and you will need one less card in your wallet. Because your smartphone will now do the job that the membership card has done up to now.
New design – same functions
- Find your car2go as usual from the updated map and reserve it free of charge.
- A reserved car2go is displayed with an orange-colored clock – at the top right you can see the remaining minutes of the rental.
- Using the main menu at the top left, you can also view the details of your previous rentals – with the starting point and the destination, driving and parking times, and also the price of the journey.
car2go rental in 5 steps:
If you wish to open a car2go in the future, you won’t need your membership card as previously; your smartphone alone will suffice:
- Select your car2go and reserve up to 30 min in advance free of charge if desired.
- Then click “Start rental” directly on the app. ONLY do this when you are at the vehicle as the trip will be ended after 30 seconds if you do not enter it.
- Check the vehicle for any damage as usual.
- The car2go opens and your rental begins.
- Confirm the general terms and conditions if you have not already done so – for example when registering. Then enter your PIN on the touchscreen. Once you have followed the steps you will be able to start the car.
Ending a car2go rental in 5 steps:
To make ending the rental even easier for you, your rental will now end automatically.
1. Close the windows and switch off the lights
2. Return the key to the holder next to the navigation screen and get out of the vehicle
3. After you have closed all the doors and the trunk, the fifteen-second countdown commences. This is displayed on the touchscreen in the vehicle and in the card reader behind the windshield. To end your trip immediately you can scan out with your member card.
4. If you open the car2go during the countdown, the countdown stops and the rental continues.
5. After the countdown has finished, the car2go locks automatically. Your rental ends automatically and is finalized with the confirmation “trip complete” showing on the outside card reader.
MEMBERCARD OR SMARTPHONE
If you have grown to like using your membership card, you can of course continue to use it. You can continue to open and close your car2go with your membership card as well as open it with your smartphone.
In order to use the current version of the app, you will need a smartphone with iOS7, Android 4.0 or higher and mobile internet access. Download the app now or update the current version.
While inside, you will find the key next to the touchscreen.
Before you can drive, you will need to enter your 4-digit PIN on the touchscreen. Answer a few quick questions such as cleanliness of vehicle and report damage at that time.*
*If the vehicle is operational, you can report damage faster by emailing us through the app, emailing SanDiego@car2go.com, OR call 1.877.488.4224 on your cell phone and leave a voice mail with the license plate of the car, damage you see, and your name and phone number.
All trips must end in the Home Area, and cannot exceed 4 consecutive days use of the same vehicle. Since one-way trips are allowed, just leave the car2go in any Authorized Parking Location within the Home Area (see below for details).
When done, turn off the ignition and press “End Trip” on the touchscreen. You can then put the key back in the holder and exit the vehicle. Before walking away, place your member card on the card reader and watch for a few seconds until the reader says “Trip completed.”
WHERE TO PARK
ONLY END YOUR TRIP IN AUTHORIZED PARKING LOCATIONS
When finished, you may leave your car2go in any Authorized Parking Location within the Home Area. Authorized parking locations include:
- Public street parking with no city signage/restrictions
- Any parking meter or pay station that is 1 Hour or more
- Any specially marked carshare parking spot
For a full list of parking rules, click here.
Note: Unless San Diego is separated from California in an earthquake, you must adhere to bylaws set forth in the California Vehicle Code when parking your car2go.
WHERE SHOULD I AVOID PARKING WHEN ENDING MY TRIP?
When parking, there are specific areas to avoid. Do NOT end your trip in any of the following areas:
- Parking meter or time restricted zones that are less than 1 Hour
- Parking lots (private, public or paid)
- Time restricted areas and/or commuter lanes
- Underground parkades
- Private property (driveways, garages, or parking lots)
- Commercial zones/ Loading zones/ Valet/ Taxi/ Bus zones
- Disabled drivers parking spots
- Reserved parking spaces (that are NOT car2go)
When parking, do NOT park:
- Perpendicularly – no front or back tires against the curb
- Reverse angled (unless directed to by the parking signage)
To open the trunk, just press unlock twice on your key. Then go to the trunk and with palm up, squeeze the latch just under the center of the window. Pull the window up and release the tabs on the right and left side of the tailgate. It’s now ready for loading.
For a brief video on operating the trunk, click here.
USING CAR2GO IN OTHER CITIES
If you have an account in San Diego, you can use it in our other North American car2go cities (Austin, Brooklyn, Calgary, Columbus, Denver, Minneapolis-St Paul, Montreal, Portland, Seattle, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington, D.C.). When visiting, always check that city’s Home Area, parking pules, trip rates, and tax rates before you drive there at www.car2go.com. All cities parking rules are available here.
Please be aware that your promotional minutes are only good for the city in which they were issued.
The Home Area
Begin and end your trip in any on-street City of San Diego metered or pay station parking space inside the Home Area.
You can drive outside the Home Area, but you cannot end your trip there. Click the map above for more information.
For a more thorough look at parking locations and policies, check out our parking FAQs.
Meet The Fleet
Most members use car2go for one-way trips under 30 minutes for things like getting to and from work, running errands, shopping, and meeting friends for dinner.
You are welcome to leave the Home Area with a car2go but you will need to bring the vehicle back into it to end your trip.
Here are some helpful tips to make your next trip a great one!
What is the Driver Protection Fee?
Beginning June 1, 2015, each member's deductible will be lowered from the rate of $1,000 to $250. And, starting June 1, 2015, any member who takes 91 or more trips by the end of 2015 will have their deductible lowered to $0. At the beginning of 2016, the trip count will reset to 0 and the deductible will go back to $250. The member will then have the entire calendar year to reach 91+ trips to qualify for a $0 deductible.